This week is Negroni Week, brought to you by our friends at Imbibe Magazine and Campari. To celebrate, our partners at Madcap Coffee have worked tirelessly to create two negroni-inspired coffee drinks. Negroni Week inspires businesses to “drink to your cause”, and Madcap Coffee will donate a portion of their proceeds to Heartside Ministry in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
A negroni is equal parts sweet vermouth, gin, and Campari—it's a simple cocktail on paper but deeply complex. A delicate dance between sweet, bitter, and oh, mama. The team at Madcap have created two coffee-forward, alcohol-free drinks showcasing a similar flavor experience and have shared their recipes with us at Sprudge. And now we'll share these recipes with you so you can play along at home!
* Orange-Peppercorn Simple Syrup (recipe below)
* Double Third Coast Espresso
* Berry Shrub (recipe below)
* Angostura Bitters
1. Weigh out 14 grams (0.5oz) of simple syrup in small shaker tin.
2. Pull espresso directly into shaker.
3. Fill with ice and stir to chill.
4. Strain over rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
5. Add 28 grams (1oz) of sparkling water.
6. Add 7 grams (0.25oz) of Berry Shrub.
7. Add 2 dashes of Angostura bitters.
8. Stir to incorporate.
Orange-Peppercorn Simple Syrup Recipe:
1. Steep 6 grams orange rind and 2 grams pink peppercorns in 120 grams (4.25oz) hot water (210°F) for 5 minutes
2. Pour over 127g sugar.
3. Stir until completely dissolved.
4. Label and date, then chill.
Berry Shrub Recipe:
1. Mash up 4oz of raspberries and 4oz of blackberries.
2. Stir in 56 grams of sugar.
3. Let sit for 30 minutes.
4. Put in bottle.
5. Add 24oz of apple cider vinegar.
6. Shake to incorporate.
7. Label, date and chill.
Madcap Coffee will be serving negroni-themed beverages at their Grand Rapids, Michigan cafe HQ all week long. Go drink one. You'd be foolish not to. Recipe for the Madcap coffee mocktail “Antipodal” is available here on Sprudge.